Friday, September 19, 2008

E-Zines, Blogs, B-Zines, E-Logs, Blines, E-Zogs....

For my e-zine, I went to www.TIME.com for the TIME Magazine e-zine. My news or current events oriented blog was The Chronicle of Higher Education news blog located at http://chronicle.com/news/. These two websites were very similiar in the sense that they both gave lots of information. But I think TIME Magazine has more of an opinionated feel with a more of a columnist kind of touch. I think that The Chronicle Of Higher Education news blog had more of just straight facts on it. I like TIME Magazine a lot more because it provides attitude and a rare kind of "edge".

TIME Magazine describes itself as an entertainment news, books, movie review and music review source. It has a big in-depth section about the presidential election and not just articles on statistical, certain facts. They dig deeper, more into the lives of certain people of the process and makes the reader more involved because it gets away from the feel from when you're watching a newscast on television. There are plenty of pictures, which make it look visually appealing and the way everything is placed (headlines, photos) makes it easy on the eyes which makes it easier to read. It was more effective by having the reader want to read articles on their site. TIME was easier to find on the internet, because well, it has that national publicity.

On the other hand, the Daily News Blog, The Chronicle Of Higher Education news blog, wasn't too easy on the eyes. It was not visually appealing. It didn't have compelling pictures. But it did have concrete facts and details about events and occurences that actually did happen. It may not bring the "flash" and the "cutesy" effects, but it definitely is suited more for the more mature readers who like to know the facts. I feel that the news blog was more professional. I think that this blog was more credible and trustworthy.

I think that a print source such as a newspaper or magazine is not more credible than a blog. In this case, I don't think I'd rather choose a newspaper or a magazine over the blog that I read, but in several other cases you're really not too sure about blogs. For the e-zine, I think that the print versions are just the same so I wouldn't trust it in print or online, and vice versa.

The research material I found, on a scale on a 1 to 5, was a 2 because it somewhat did not support my thesis. I do not want to change my thesis, but with this research, I think it may be scoring some points for the opposition. I still do think that Blogging has significantly impacted the print journalism industry. Although it may not be as true right now, as time progresses, I think the statement will become more and more true, so that's what I'm staying with it.

2 comments:

Johnny said...

Yes Yes. Noticing that Google mishap was quite miraculous. But that's how I am. :]

But I agree with your uneasiness with that Chronicle site. It's a bit sloppy...

and keep up the disco blog. :]

Matt Stromberg said...

I had a similar experience as you. The eZine I used was for Newsweek, and like the eZine for Time, it looked really good and gave a lot of information. Just as you, I found a blog that someone put together, and it does not look as good, but I feel as though I can really trust the information on the blog.